<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Chicago Movie Review, but mostly Academy Slam

Sorry, this whole Academy Award rant is a bit old, but I didn't have a blog at the time.

I recently watched Chicago, the winner of 6 Academy Awards, of which it deserved maybe 4 (Technical Awards, Costumes and such) but "Best Picture" and "Best Supporting Actress" were rewarded for Politics and not achievement. Catherine Zeta-Jones did nothing special, and Richard Gere alone should have eliminated their chances for Best Picture. How this movie beat Gangs of New York, and Lord of the Rings is beyond me. However, if The Hours had won I would have killed myself, I hate the movies that are made solely to win an award. "I've got it! Lets take an attractive actress and make her ugly then make her depressed and angry. Winner for sure!") Note: Nicole Kidman won. This year was probably the most disappointing year at the Academy Awards, no one but Chris Cooper really deserved what they got. I think someone should explain how Adaptation didn't get "Best Screenplay based on previous material" there won't be another movie that clever for years. OK, my rant is over. Hopefully next year will be better.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?