<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Dean's Top Ten Male Icons of Rap

Note: This list is made out of love of the person not their influence or appeal overall. Like Tupac, everyone thinks he is the greatest ever. I hated him, and therefore he will not be on the list.



1. Busta Rhymes - My favorite rapper, for several reasons. 1. He's not the typical "I'm hard, cross me and catch a bullet" rappers that generally piss me off, he's funny and his songs are about goofy crap and women instead of guns and killing. 2. His videos are all hilarious, and I keep them in constant rotation. 3. He's actually a good or at least enjoyable actor. I don't know about his Halloween movie but in both Narc and Finding Forester he did a good job, better than I can say for most rapper/actors.
Key Tracks - Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See, Woo-Ha Got You All In Check, Turn it Up/Fire it Up, Dangerous, Gimme Some More



2. Snoop Dogg - Only recently have I enjoyed his music, but I have been enjoying the personage for several years. He's funny just walking across the room, and when he speaks it doubles the pleasure. You gotta love him.
Key Tracks - Gin and Juice, Beautiful (Feat Pharell), From the Chuuuurch to da Palace



3. LL Cool J - I don't love his early work too much, but since "Mama Said Knock You Out" I have been a fan of his music and his movie career. I thank him often for Deep Blue Sea. He releases more romance songs that I want but he's solid quality.
Key Tracks - Mama Said Knock You Out, Shut Em' Down, Deepest Bluest, I Make my own Rules (Feat the Red Hot Chili Peppers)



4. Eminem - I enjoy him musically more than most rappers, and I find his honesty and forwardness appealing. I think he is a little crazy, but those rhyme schemes more than make up for it.
Key Tracks - Stan, Without Me, My Fault, Brain Damage, Any Man, White America, My Name Is...



5. Dr. Dre - One of the best producers in the game, and when he does make his own records they are amazing.
Key Tracks - Forgot about Dre (Feat Eminem), Still D.R.E (Feat. Snoop Dogg), Keep Their Heads Ringing



6. Pharell - Another brilliant producer who improves everyone he works with.
Key Tracks - His contributions to Justin Timberlake's album, Beautiful (Snoop), Pass the Courvoiser (Busta and Puff Daddy)



7. Biz Markie - Another humorous rapper (note the trend), plus a beatbox king although not as good as Rahzel.
Key Tracks - Just a Friend, Bennie and the Jets



8. The Fresh Prince - I liked him better before stepping out as Will Smith. Although his solo stuff rocks it out too.
Key Tracks - Nightmare on my Street, Brand New Funk, Girls/Parents ain't Nothin' but Trouble



9. Mystikal - Him and Busta are probably the fastest rappers around, plus he seems to find the sweetest beats for his songs. I have created a dance that exists only for Mystikal's Jump
Key Tracks - Gettin Rowdy Wit Us (Feat Busta Rhymes), Mystikal Fever, Danger, Bouncin Back, Jump, Shake it Fast



10. Ludacris - He's got a nice rhyme scheme and can integrate humor well.
Key Tracks - Roll Out, Stand Up, Act a Fool

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?