<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Friday, December 12, 2003

Apologies

I am sorry for my lack of movie related blogs, I have realized that I have been skipping the movies in the face of great video games, Tv shows, cd's, and my girlfriend. Since the school year is over and my girlfriend will be heading back to Lancaster for awhile I am going to try to bust out some movie reviews to keep my loneliness in check. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my anti-sadbastard music rant, those band do have something to offer but they belong underground and should only be represented a few times in a Top 40 list. As you could see in my Top 50 list I snuck in some sweet underground picks, but the list would lose all credibility if I was to push the issue (Soul Coughing #23, Prodigy #25, Cee-Lo #38, Cross Movement #42, and The Toasters #48). But, enough with that issue. This weekend I am hoping to watch at least 3 movies, and begin watching Tru Calling starring Eliza Dushku which is the first of the possible Buffy replacements.

I have watched the first episode of Tru Calling and my first impression is that the show would have been a better movie than a TV show. The story concept is cool, but I think it will get old quickly and even if they can keep it fresh for an entire season they will surely not be able to make a whole second season. The concept for those who are unaware is that Eliza Dushku has taken a job at a morgue and when new "Wrongful Death" murders arrive she often gets contacted by them for help. She then gets to relive the last day just like in Groundhog Day so that she can try to prevent the death. This type of trouble would work on Angel, but here there are several things missing that they will need to address for the show to be continually enjoyable. First, there are no supporting actors as of yet, and since she has no powers or real crime-fighting skills the action sequences will be limited. The episodes will have trouble remaining tied together since for the most part you should have a different victim and conflict in every episode, and in a big city they most likely won't be connected. It's strongest point other than Dushku us that the soundtrack rules, with its hard driving rhythms that make you feel funky in your pants.

This is all of course conjecture I have only watched 1 episode and this is my initial reaction to what I have seen. I'll confirm or rebuke this later, but if the first three I have aren't amazing I suspect I will discontinue watching them.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?