<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Thursday, January 15, 2004

Dumb Funny Movies

Bubble Boy

Surprisingly, it was a bit funny. The movie follows a boy who was born without immunities and has to live in a bubble. He falls in love with the girl-next-door who used to come over and hang with him, and when she is set to get married to her ignorant boyfriend he decided to make his bubble portable and haul himself across the U.S. to stop the wedding. Along the way he runs into the dumbest situations and people that have graced the screen in some time but for some reason it is funny. The cameos were what surprised me because I wouldn’t touch this movie if I was in Hollywood, but there they are; Danny Trejo, Verne Troyer (I can’t fault him) and Zach Galifinakis. Jake Gyllenhaal is the star and I enjoyed him for the first time in his career, which has the highlights of this, Donnie Darko (Premise – To make you wonder how they got Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze in this movie), and The Good Girl (Premise – Jennifer Aniston being someone other than Rachel). The movie is beyond ridiculous and if you hate zany comedy like Dumb and Dumber (it’s not as good as D&D) then skip this one, but if you do then you will get a few laughs out of Bubble Boy.

Johnny English

Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is the star as the last secret agent in commission after a horrific accident that killed off all the top agents in England. The movie is less zany than Bubble Boy but the comedy relies heavily on Rowan Atkinson and his physical comedy and his comic timing. And this movie is a better demonstration of his comic power than in the Mr. Bean movie. The other stars of the movie were John Malkovich (huh?) and Natalie Imbruglia who was surprisingly decent. I expected that she would be O.K. since she was an actress in an Australian soap opera before she hit the charts with her album, but she was more than decent she was good and compared to Beyonce she was worthy of an Academy award (In case you missed it the worst performance of all time was by Beyonce in the third Austin Powers movie). The plot and all is secondary to allowing Rowan to be funny, and I laughed out loud a few times. I think I enjoyed it more in retrospect because a lot of the comedy came quickly and I laughed more about it later than I did as it happened. It was funny, but it wasn’t uproarious and my girlfriend fell asleep so I would choose a different movie to watch with your lady-friend. Expect a review of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen soon, I have to make it up to Julie for making her watch this silly British movie.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?