<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Monday, February 02, 2004

Grand Spanking New Stuff

I have officially changed the name of my site to Dean's Thoughts on Entertainment so as to alleviate the confusion that comes along with reading a video game or tv review. And to reinforce this change here is like 10 game reviews.

Manhunt - PS2

Gritty and a bit disturbing this is the latest title from the makers of Grand Theft Auto. It does not utilize the same game engine so don't expect the same driving and shooting frenzy of GTA nor is it like the dual gun weilding bullet-time blasting of Max Payne which is another Rockstar title. This game is stealth based, sort of like Tarantino's adaptation of Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and instead of a ninja assassin you are an ex-con battling to live through a night of extreme reality TV where a man is broadcasting your killing to a small audience of twisted people. Not for the faint at heart, and it requires a lot of patience to make it through the game, but if you get into the game it can be thrilling. The storyline hasn't grabbed me yet, but trying to trick the enemy A.I. is festive, because instead of clearly seen patterns of movement from games like Metal Gear, you get random wandering drunken gang members who follow no pattern at all. If you like Max Payne, Tenchu, and the movie 8mm than rent this title, if you don't know or like any of those try another of the following.

Mafia - PS2

This review is very premature but I need to vent. This game opened with a beautiful movie and excellent graphics, it hinted at a sweet storyline, and then bam. Your stuck in a slow and boring car for the next 3 hours playing slowmotion Crazy Taxi. The slow vehicle is only heightened by the 8 minute loading sequence you get whenever you cross a bridge, and the 1 minute autosave after you do anything significant at all. I played for about a half-hour and was disgusted. I will try again, but this title already has begun to wear on me. The problem is this thought that reality is always good, but this must always take a backseat to fun. Yes, in 1930 people drove slow cars. But, I don't play video games to prepare myself for sleep, give me a fast car and a gun and i'll give you a smile and 50 bucks. The concept is simple, but they decided to go for the slow car and a compass. I give you a grimace and a blasting in my blog.

MarioKart Double Dash - Gamecube

Tremendous fun, but sadly I'm done already. Once you beat the game you don't want to play anymore, and the multiplayer leaves much to be desired. However, the crazy weeks it took to beat the game were priceless and no one should go without experiencing this joy. Hint: The Double Koopa team rules.

NFL Street - Gamecube

Hella Addicting, and hella irritating. This game is wicked fun and very unique, it has some of Blitz's smashmouth style, some of Madden's play calling, and some WWF just to make everything exciting. The game doesn't have a season mode which I might miss once I beat the mode they do have, but right now I love the system they did use to make you progress through the game. Each division has it's own street or venue (like a beach front, alleyway, etc) and you play through a ladder of that division's teams and then beat an all-star team from that division to advance. But you also unlock mission goals which bring various rewards. The challenge is high, and the screaming at the television is higher but it is all worth it. Rent this one.

Note: I do realize the WWF is no longer the proper moniker, but I don't care. WWE is just less impressive, and I haven't heard about them doing anything significant since the change so there...

P.S. - This and Mario Kart where the first games where I didn't mind the Gamecube controller.

Madden 2004 - PC

I needed a new game to help me bust away the hours at work and between calls at the Ambulence squad so I picked up a used copy from EBGames and started up a season. And then two. I created a team called the Delaware Destroyers (which have a wicked Knight logo) and I took over the Patriots as well (Yeah Pats!) to play with the new owner mode system they added. The customzation is deeper than ever and the financial management is intriguing and new. I would recommend that you turn off holding and face-masking though, because your teammates do them all the time and you can't stop them. My other complaint is tackling which does not have any kind of assisted aim so you are better off letting the computer tackle for you. Overall, I am satisfied.

Silent Storm - PC

This hasn't come out but it is a 3D version of a game which I was a huge fan of, which is Jagged Alliance 2. It is a turn based strategy game, and it should be amazing. The Penny-Arcade guys have been pitching it, and I might be convinced to buy my first new computer game in years. But most likely I will suffer until a used copy comes my way.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?