<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Sunday, March 07, 2004

Movies that Bombed...but were good.

I think I might make this a weekly feature, because there is tons of material to write on. So here are three movies I deeply enjoyed yet did awful at the theatres.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within


(She's Animated, I know I usually refrain from the seductive pictures but I think it is funny that Maxim put her in their Hot 100 list.)

I have written on this movie several times during my blogging, and I am still upset that it bombed. First, the death of this movie led to the death of the movie making career of the company that made it Square. So because this one didn't do well we will now never receive great movies from this company again. This is now the only full length creation that will remain. Did you see the first animated segment on the Animatrix? You know the one that kicked all the other one's tails all over the place? Yeah, thats what we could have had on an annual basis if this movie had done better. BAH. Anyway, this movie was good besides the excellent animation, but its Eastern sensibility killed it in the U.S. Well, now I'm sad.

Buffalo Soldiers



I just watched this one and thought it was Excellent. Joaquin Phoenix stars as a darker Sgt. Bilko type character who goes to war against the new inspection officer (Scott Glenn). Ed Harris plays the Bird General in charge of the complex, and Anna Paquin plays the inspection officer's daughter. The acting was good especially from the increasingly awesome Joaquin, and the consistently good Ed Harris. I really liked this one, and will most likely purchase it.

Death to Smootchy



Hilarious. This movie is exceedingly funny, and I think the concept scared people off. But I doubt people who saw it didn't like it because it is too funny not to like. Probably, one of Robin Wiliiams' funniest performances and Edward Norton's best comedy role yet (although it might be his only). Robin Williams plays Rainbow Randolph who after some scandal had his kids show cancelled. Edward Norton is the hot new kids character Smoochy, but Randolph and some others are quick to try to destroy him to return to the dirty business deals that existed under Randolph. If you missed this one make it happen this week.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?