<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Walking Tall Review



An exciting action movie that was everything I wanted it to be. As I have been saying I really like the Rock, and this one was his best so-far. The Rundown was lacking in some areas and you had to take solice in the action and the few funny sequences. But this one has excellent action, every action sequence is memorable, and it gets me to nod my head and grunt with every good blow (Guys you do it too). The negatives are all allowable but present, first and foremost the villian of the movie is the villian long before he is linked to villainy. As in, the Rock is busting his balls a bit prematurely. Before we really know the bad guy is really the bad guy, he is getting owned. And the Rock never really tries to handle the situation peacefully. So for the first few action sequences I am like "Thats not really justified...but while your at it club that guy good." He was right in the end so its all OK. Second, the movie is short. The movie (i.e Previews) started at 7:00 and we walked out at 8:30. The movie never dragged or stalled, but I guess I might have liked a bit more screen time, maybe developing the villian in the beginning of the movie. The acting was all decent, The Rock does it all well, Johnny Knoxville is as funny as he was on Jackass, and Neil McDonough is always good. I am glad to see him getting more movie roles because he can play the bad guy or the good guy equally well.

The best thing about this movie though was the arguments and then theories that came out after it. I shall begin.

The Theory of the Stick

A blunt instrument is always a better implement in battle. In both real life and in the movies. A gunfight can be exciting but when broken down it plays like this. Miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss Shot Dead. All the misses are not that fun, and the payoff is as it almost always is, Dead they fall down. But a 2x2 like the one pictured above delivers only excellence. Smash - Broken Arm, Crunch - Bloodied Face, Crack - Knocked through a wall. Every shot is a payoff. Now Julie explained that this is not how it is in real life, and that may be true...but it should be. I know that I can kill someone with a Gun, where is the challenge? You can't talk smack to them when you do, "Oh, you shot me, way to go nerd." Only wimps fight with guns, unless you are outgunned or out numbered. If I beat you with a board I OWN YOU. You will forever be mine, and when you go to the afterlife you will continue in my service. If a man who looks like the Rock walks up to you with a gun what do you do? You might run, you yell for help, maybe be creative, maybe pull your own gun. But if he walks toward you with a giant stick you will fall to your knees and wet yourself. There is no stopping the pants wetting. So there, I have proven that blunt weapons are better than guns.

Before I get e-mails saying I'm a walking example of the violent people who were created by movies and video games, I was joking above, its a mindset of a movie viewer. And I don't condone the ruthless beating of people in real-life. In real-life I condone self-defense and not vigilanteism...But if ever possible self-defend with a board.



King of Queens



Best Sitcom on TV

I forgot about it when I made the "Top Five Shows on TV" list. Bump The Daily Show (Sorry Jon Stewart) this show is jumping in the ranks. Its too true for me, if you haven't met me take Kevin James add video games and you get me. Julie isn't quiet Leah Remini's character but she's close enough that its funny. I love the show, yet it maked me look so dumb when he does the same thing as me all the time. Anyway, you ought to watch it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?