<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Van Helsing Review

I was able to get Julie to see Van Helsing with me this last weekend and I was satisfied with the movie as I hoped I would be. As I often note, I usually have criteria and expectations for the movies I see in the theatre and this one delivered on each one. The desires I had were, Excellent action sequences, clever original ideas, a linear story, and sequelability. The action sequences were top notch and the CGI animation gets better with every blockbuster I see. The original ideas were crucial since the movie dealt with characters with whom we are very knowledgable, namely Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman. The movie was rather true to those characters while adding some new twists and elements that while new had a feeling of familiarity since they were rooted in the myths of those characters. The advertisments gave me a dreadful feeling that the storyline might just be: Van Helsing hunts and kills the Wolfman...Van Helsing hunts and kills Frankenstein's Monster...Van Helsing makes out with hot girl and then kills Dracula. I was glad that the story did not play out as such, and the romance with Kate Beckinsale was not awful as it could have been. As for Sequels, I think the Mummy, the Invisible Man, and Bluto need some smacking down. Especially Bluto, he's been asking for it. Go see it, its theatre worthy, and I'll buy the DVD when it arrives. Actually I want those re-releases of the Universal Horror movies, Christmas is only a few months away...remember me.

PS2 Price Drop

The PS2 dropped the price of the Online Ready bundle to 150 dollars right after I bought it, however I was pretty sure that they would do it within a month of when I bought it so I am going to get that money back. I am in the middle of deciding what to do with that 50 bucks since I have already justified it as a Video Game expense. The contenders are:

Champions of Norrath
I don't know how much I will enjoy it single player but when I make George buy one and we can play online together this game will be mad hot.

Onimusha 3
I need to rent this first, but Triggerfingers.com has it on a long wait so I might be a little ways from getting my hands on it. Part of my is considering the purchase but I wouldn't be able to do it without playing it first. Especially since I haven't played any of the Onimusha games at all.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
I am a big fan of the open ended rampage of the GTA titles, and have already pre-ordered this title. Most likely I will let my credit sit until this comes out and walk home with this.

PS2 Hard Drive with Final Fantasy 11
I could have half of my hard-drive paid for, but since I am not going to be internet ready for at least 4 months I think the 50 bucks will burn a hole in my pocket before then.

2 Older Titles
I wouldn't mind having SSX3, Metal Gear Solid, FFX2, or any number of other games. A double purchase could be the ticket.

Hard Decisions, I will probably get GTA, but if Cable Internet hops into my future Norrath and the Hard Drive become serious contenders.
Tough Decisions

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?