<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

2004 Movie Ranking


I return from absence with a huge 2004 roundup. I know some of you are saying “But 2004 isn’t over yet.” But for me it is. I might catch one more movie but most likely I have seen what I will see this year and here they are in order. Oh, and these movies didn’t have to be released in 2004 to make the list if I caught it for the first time and its newish I included it.

1. Big Fish

This movie was the most fulfilling movie of the year, with a delivery of quality drama, comedy, and romance. The story was very effective and the acting was brilliant. Few movies can stand next to this one, and I didn’t really have to think hard about making this my number 1 pick for 2004.


2. The Incredibles

Possibly Pixar’s finest hour, this one also delivers on all fronts with excellent drama, action, romance, and comedy. Kudos to Samuel L. Jackson and Holly Hunter for making the movie especially pleasing.


3. Kill Bill Vol. 2

Quentin slowed the action from the first Volume and steeped us in a clever storyline. The story was well crafted and increased my appreciation for the set as a whole. Plus some sweet action still resides here.


4. The Passion

A fine portrayal of the last hours of Christ’s life on Earth. This although beautifully, and painfully, filmed makes it this high on the list because of my emotional and spiritual attachment to the story. It changes your understanding and consideration of one of the most important events in history, and that’s pretty good for a movie.


5. Spiderman 2

Ebert says it’s the best superhero movie ever. I might agree, I want to watch it again though. The storyline might be the best but I guess I was disappointed by some of the finale.


6. School of Rock

It’s Jack Black and some family comedy gold. Plus some music that justified the purchase of the soundtrack. I was well pleased.


7. Dawn of the Dead

(stupid unfixable indent)

Once again, and I can’t stress enough, skip the credits. Omitting what transpires there I would consider this the best Zombie Action movie ever. The Original being the best Zombie movie ever. The next incarnation needs to be the best Zombie Romance ever.

8. Walking Tall

“Best movie featuring frequent use of blunt objects of 2004” Pick your action sequence it was good enough to make it this high based on that scene alone.


9. Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter is a wonderful fantasy movie and I understand and respect the hype. If I was a kid I would be dreaming of wizardry too. I instead got some kind of Hulk Hogan/Gambit/Sgt. Slaughter dream where I beat the crap of out of villains everywhere.
Um..anyway this is some good stuff, and actually somewhat difficult to compare to the other two.


10. Mystic River

I didn’t even finish this and I know I will like it. Very well made drama, and the acting is rather compelling. I will finish my thoughts when I do complete it.


11. Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind

I really got into this movie for some reason, and I have thought back on it a few times. Once Julie gives it back to me I will watch it again and see what happens to my mind.


12. Death to Smoochy

This movie is hilarious and you all blew it by not watching it.


13. The Missing

This movie freaked me out and got me all excited. I gained even more respect for Cate Blanchette and Tommy Lee Jones, and especially Ron Howard I didn’t think he was capable of this.


14. Buffalo Soldiers

A quality film of a drug smuggling Sgt. Bilko of sorts. I love Joaquin Phoenix and this was one of his best.


15. Bubba Ho Tep

I have never seen a movie anything like this, and I don’t think I ever will. The elements found here may never be found again so enjoy them, because I don’t see another Elvis vs. Mummy picture coming for years.


16. Starsky and Hutch

Guilty Pleasure comedy that delivered on its laughs often. That all I ask for and so it ranks well.


17. The Village

Quality Shyamalan but lessened compared to his other films. The replay value may be lower though, I guess that’s why it isn’t higher on the list.


18. Hero

One of the better storylines I have seen in a martial arts movie, just a shame the martial arts were a waste of time.


19. Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Enjoyable action romp with a spectacular cast.


20. Interstate 60

Enjoyable but somewhat forgettable film.


21. American Splendor

Intriguing but hard to enjoy again. It was rather unique though.


22. Dodgeball The Movie

Dumb Funny, I will probably still buy it, but part of my soul will depart with the purchase.


23. Van Helsing

Good action and buildup, followed by not so good action and a poor ending.


24. Lost in Translation

I liked it but don’t really want to watch it again, at least for awhile.


25. Cabin Fever

Crazy horror campyness. I thought about placing it higher but I couldn’t decide on a spot so here it sits.


26. The Grudge

Freaky but wholly disappointing.


27. Master and Commander

The movie just started getting good and it ended.


28. Dreamcatcher

Was probably a better book.


29. Johnny English

Was really dumb but had a few funny parts.


30. Terminator 3

Some cool action but never really interested me.


31. Two Brothers

Two Tigers playing cute and then separated then Two Tigers playing tough united once again in brotherly love. Yeah that’s the story stretched over two hours.


32. Looney Tunes Back in Action

Really disappointing since it finally placed Bugs where he belonged, behind Daffy.


33. Taking Lives

Not enough Keifer, although he might not have been enough either.


34. House of the Dead

So bad it almost became good again. But it didn’t.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?