<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Friday, February 11, 2005

New Update!!!!!!!!!!

Holy CRAP!

Yeah I have returned from what was almost a month hiatus. Wedding planning and laziness have gotten the best of me. But if you knew the amount of times I thought about updating, well that would be something. Anyway, here's a big update to tide you over because I don't see another update happening for another week or two. Enjoy.

Saved!

* Christians are satirized as either extremely hypocritical, hatemongering, or ridiculously overzealous.

I finally watched Saved!, which I am ashamed about delaying to this point. As one who loves satire especially of groups of which I am a part (in this case Christians) I should have seen this much earlier. But Julie saw it without me, blame her. Anyway, the main criticism I have with the movie is that there wasn't a good Christian, there wasn't the guy who got it right. The character the movie kind of set up for that actually did nothing at all, and permitted and encouraged everything. I felt like the movie wasn't made by a Christian, and possibly not even for Christians. I got the impression that sometimes it was merely a mockery of our ignorance and hypocricy. However these are issues I have with how they performed the satire, the points were often legitimate. Some Christians do comprise the least intelligent group of people in the world. Most of them are in charge of schools and radio shows and for some reason lead us in the crusade of idiocy that seems to always make the news and poorly represent us. These people are ripe for satire. However they are too dumb to understand this movie, and because of the omission of a good character I feel they would be able to make clear attacks against the movies credibility as a truth upholding film. I feel that because of this the good purpose of the movie was lost and now all that remains is the open mockery of Christianity which is like shooting fish in a barrel. The opportunity was wasted, shame on them. I would recommend watching this because it is interesting, but know its shortcomings.

Alien vs. Predator

*Two Sci-Fi movie greats combat while killing useless humans in the crossfire.

Yeah, I talked about this movie forever before it came out and I didn't even watch it until CJ brought it over. It was awful. Well the action sequences were cool, and the effects were good, but the story and execution was horrid. My least favorite thing you can do in a horror movie is to kill off people with out any drama. Don't build up a character and then kill him in an instant and move on. That doesn't make the movie scary. Look at how Deep Blue Sea used it's deaths. Each was significant and scary, this movie wasted almost all of its core characters. I liked seeing the combat between the two villians but only like 2-3 scenes from the whole movie are worth watching. Another great opportunity lost.

Envy

*Two friends are divided when one of them becomes filthy rich and his buddy didn't join him for the ride.

Bobby bought this for me, and at movie night we watched it and is was enjoyable. It wasn't the best thing ever, but we laughed out loud several times. Jack Black and Ben Stiller are hilarious as always, and Christopher Walken was uncanny. I would watch the movie several times just to see him, it was his funniest role yet. Also Rachel Weisz was a pleasure. Its worth a rental, and I am unashamed of my owning. Walken will make it worthy.

Secret Window


* A writer is hounded by a man who claims he stole his story and ruined its ending.

I watched this ON DEMAND while typing this. It just ended so a review hot off the stove for you. It was good, almost very good, and you can tell the source material is Stephen King. Whats better is that it got grade A production values and the acting prowess of Johnny Depp, John Turturro, and Maria Bello. I might buy this cheap, but only because its repeat value has yet to be determined. The once viewing is great and it is a clear rental option.

Hellboy

*
A demon child is discovered and grows up to lead a league of extraordinary bores.

I fell asleep, I rewound and saw why. This movie is dumb, and with little redeeming value. I wanted to find what everyone was clamoring for and I missed it. I didn't like the characters, the action sequences or the premise. Don't watch it, there are hundreds of better options.

The Butterfly Effect

* A man finds that he can return to his past to tries over and over to change the events of his past to improve his future.

Much Much Better than I thought it was going to be. Julie really wanted to see it, and I was hesistant to spend money on it because I thought it would suck. It came up ON DEMAND and so I thought sweet, free viewing at our leisure. She came over and a few friends were there and we watched what turned out to be a great suspense movie. Ashton Kutcher is still weak as an actor but he was able to pull it off enough to not ruin the movie, although I wonder how long his career will hold out. A few sequences really made the movie terrific and the non-linear elements were exciting and thrilling. Overall, a good film, and I will likely purchase someday.
Comments:
The Mothman Prophesy Rules!!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?