<$BlogRSDURL$>

An avid movie collector reviews movies, games, and TV shows for the common man, among other things. Spoiler Free

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Sin City

*In a depraved city three characters embark on journeys of wild vengeance.

Sin City was much the hot topic since it looked oh so good, but was feared as being oh so morally bad. But I braved the elements and with my wife, CJ, and Jason by my side and it was a good movie after all. Sin City is one of the best visual experiences I have had at the movies since Lord of the Rings, and before that probably Who Framed Roger Rabbit (that movie rocked my world). The negative elements do remain, nudity exists and the violence is thick, if you are familiar with darker anime like Fist of the North Star and Akira it would be a live action version of such things. The storyline with its three weaving story arcs that only slightly connect to one another was excellent, and I could have continued on this trail for another 2 hours before I got antsy. I have to give enormous praise to Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, and Clive Owen for their gritty portrayals, I have more respect for all of them after this movie. But also look for unique performances by Benecio Del Toro, Elijah Wood (Oh my goodness), Rosario Dawson, Britney Murphy, and Nick Stahl. I would have liked Carla Gugino more if she wasn't perpetually naked. I loved this movie, but it is clearly not for everyone, my wife liked it but I doubt many other women would. This is a man's movie, mostly because it connects with a part of the male psyche in a special way because in each storyline it established the necessary exceptions for someone to unleash the beast all over someone's face. And man does the beast get unleashed.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?